Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Speeeeeeeeeeeed of the Internet

This morning my mother saw a commercial for an Elvis DVD. She heard two seconds of the song "I'll Remember You" and decided she wanted to hear more. She went to her record/8track/tape/CD collection to find the album. Well, after about 15 minutes of searching, she was getting very fed up. I then realized I could find the song in a few clicks on the Internet. I picked up my laptop, which was sitting on the end of the couch, typed "elvis presley i'll remember you" and clicked on a YouTube video. Well, I was listening to the song within a minute of opening my laptop. I thought how funny it is that my generation always thinks to use the Internet to find answers to our questions. Many people in my mom's generation do not.

Another example of the speed of the Internet vs. other ways of finding information comes from watching Irving Berlin's White Christmas. You know, the version with Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, etc. Well, I was laying on the couch (with my laptop on the end) watching this wonderful Christmas classic when my mom wanted to know if Rosemary Clooney was George Clooney's mother. Because my boyfriend Brandon was at home in Tulsa, my cell phone was permanently glued to my hand. Thank goodness for Google - I quickly looked up Rosemary Clooney on my Blackberry Curve. Those of you who are wondering, Rosemary Clooney is George's aunt.

The Internet is fun for me when I'm home with my family. I feel like a genius or something because I "know all" with just a few clicks.

Merry Christmas Eve!

No comments: